UPPER NEHALEM WATERSHED COUNCIL
PURPOSE, AUTHORITY, AND RESPONSIBILITIES
PURPOSE AND AUTHORITY
The purpose of the UNWC Personnel Subcommittee is to ensure that the UNWC
remains compliant with laws relating to personnel, acts responsibly to its
employees and responds in a timely manner to personnel matters. To do so it will
make recommendations regarding personnel (i.e. paid and volunteer staff) to the
Steering Committee and to provide personnel guidance to the Executive Director.
The Personnel Subcommittee is not authorized to make final decisions on
personnel matters. A majority of this Subcommittee will be Steering Committee
• Annually review personnel policies (including but not limited to: paid leave,
fringe benefits, hiring procedures, and employee classifications (e.g.
position titles, compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act, etc.)),
employee job descriptions, and the performance evaluation process and
recommend any changes to the Steering Committee.
• As part of the budget cycle, review and discuss with the Executive Director
proposed staffing levels to carry out UNWC activities and report findings to
the Steering Committee.
• Ensure that the Executive Director is maintaining personnel information,
records, and reporting in compliance with law and personnel policies.
• Develop a performance evaluation process for the Executive Director
position and assist the Steering Committee Chair in carrying out this
• Support the Executive Director in recruiting and hiring other staff as
• In the event that an employee subordinate to the Executive Director has a
complaint against the Executive Director, serve as the hearing board and
recommend any further action needed to the Steering Committee.