Member Agreement for the Upper Nehalem Watershed Council
I, ________________________________________, understand that as a member of the Council, Board or as Trustee of this organization I have a legal and ethical responsibility to ensure that it does the best work possible in pursuit of its goals. I believe in the purpose and the mission of the organization, and I will act responsibly and prudently as its steward. As part of my responsibilities as a board member:
- I will communicate the organization’s work and values to the community in a positive manner, be willing to represent the organization, and act as a spokesperson on specific issues.
- I will otherwise keep all matters pertaining to this organization confidential, particularly pertaining to personnel and finances, unless it is to be made publicly available by the organization.
- I will attend at least 75% of board meetings, committee meetings, and special events.
- Each year I will either make a financial contribution, at a level that is meaningful to me, or facilitate a donation of money or material resources to this organization from another individual or entity.
- I will act in the best interests of the organization, and excuse myself from discussions
and votes where I have a financial conflict of interest or cannot avoid the appearance of bias.
- I will stay informed and review Board information prior to attending Board meetings. I will participate in and take responsibility for making decisions on issues, policies and other board matters
- I will abide by all existing Policies and Agreements adopted by the Board of Directors.
- If I don’t fulfill these commitments to the organization, I will expect the board Chair to discuss my responsibilities with me.
In turn, the organization will be responsible to me in several ways:
- I will be sent, without request, quarterly financial reports and updates of organizational activities and projects that allow me to meet my fiduciary obligations to the organization.
- Opportunities will be offered to me to discuss with the Board Chair and the Executive Director the organization’s programs, goals, activities, and status. Additionally, I can request such opportunities.
- The organization will help me perform my duties by keeping me informed about the profession in which we work and by offering me opportunities for professional development as a board member.
- Board members and staff will respond in a straightforward fashion to questions that I feel are necessary to carry out my fiscal, legal, and ethical responsibilities to this organization.
- If the organization does not fulfill its commitments to me, I can call on the Board Chair and Executive Director to discuss the organization’s responsibilities to me.