6:35 Meeting came to order
Steering committee Present: Gil McLean, Cory Colburn, Jason Busch, Vic Dykstra, Rachel Wilcoxen, Aaron Miller, Lee Klingler
Others: Sarah Tanuvasa-NRCS, Wayne Hoffman, Maggie Peyton (Director), Steve Sorbets (Director’s Assistant, Jo Zettler, Try Laws-ODFW (Tillamook), Marie Knight (Bookkeeper), Tom Rupers
6:35 Allowed for Public Comments:
- Sarah Tanuvasa – NRCS (Natural Resources Conservation Service): Spoke to Intent to present for funding in June. Invisions monitoring project for UNWC involvement.
6:40 Presentation: Beaver at work in the watershed (Wayne Hoffman)
8:00 Council Support and Listening Sessions (Maggie Peyton w/ Wayne Hoffman) Power Point
Points (in no particular order):
- Maggie discussed benefit of partnering with Tillamook Bay Estuary Project.
- Result of new map and combining Upper/Lower Nehalem River Councils = ½ th funding
- New map = 45 watershed councils/45 SWCD
- Why?: fewer grants, legislative pressure
- Magggie: before Dec. 17th: Draft letter as to why UNWC works. Emial out. Get as many council members to sign (vs. staff)
- Keep track of what’s going on
- Make Voice heard
- Attend listening sessions
8:50 Action Items:
Minutes: Consider and approve minutes from last meeting.
Cory Colburn Motion/Lee Klingler seconded. Passed unanimously
Tabled: Business: Executive Director – performance review – progress
- Discussion Item: Treasurer’s Report (Lee Klingler)
- Aaron Miller motion to accept as read. Cory Colburn seconded. Passed unanimously
The following TABLED(?)Discussion Item: Director’s Report (Maggie Peyton)
1: Improve Water Quality and Aquatic Habitat
1.1/1.2: Protect, restore and reconnect the riparian/wetland/floodplain ecosystem
Riparian Restoration, Passage, Large Wood Placement, Road Realignment / Decommissioning:
1.3: Invasive Species:
Work with other agencies to assess the status of invasive species and identify priorities for action, recruit landowners and other volunteers to help.
1.4: Nehalem Conservation Action Plan
Coordinate and work with other team members.
2: Monitoring and Evaluation of Watershed Conditions
2.1: Monitor Stream Temperature loading
2.2: Monitor sediment loading
2.3/2.4: Track Aquatic Health and Monitor completed projects
Vernonia Public Schools:
Public Workshops and Presentations:
Host one project tour each summer:
4: Other Current Activities:
Reports in progress:
9:05 Meeting Adjourned: Fare Thee Well!