UPPER NEHALEM WATERSHED COUNCIL
STEERING COMMITTEE MINUTES
Thursday October 27th , 2011
Gil McClain (SC member) Wendi Agalzoft (CSWCD) Sarah Tanuvasa (NRCS)
Rachel Wilcoxen (SC member) Steve Sorbets (Staff-Ex. Asst.) Lee Klingler (SC Treasurer)
Jo Zettler (Cit. at Large) Cory Colburn (SC Vice-Chair) Vic Dykstra (SC member)
7:00 Meeting Convenes: Welcome and Introductions
Wendi Agalzoft (CSWCD) and Sarah Tanuvasa (NRCS) visited and were introduced to everyone.
Gil McClain announce that he had helped secure some money for Bear Creek.
Action Item: Consider and approve minutes from last meeting. (Colburn)
Moved (Lee Klingler) and seconded (Vic Dykstra) to approve the minutes as presented. The motion passed unanimously with no abstentions.
7:20 Organizational Development:
- Discussion Item: (Jo Zettler)
- Analyze Council self-evaluation and set priorities for action.
SUMMARY OF 2011 STEERING COMMITTEE SELF-EVALUATION
- membership represents diverse interests in the watershed
- membership requirements are clearly defined and communicated
- members understand their roles and responsibilities
- new member orientation and materials—need an overview of projects, SC responsibilities, staffing
- We actively involve key people in activities
- members share a common vision and purpose
- Members are not involved in projects/activities
- go over map of our projects
- SC tour of projects
- highlight a project at each meeting : grant description, $ info, timelines; maybe have a SC member present the project
Accountability to and Involvement of the Community:
- Projects are supported by local groups
- community doesn’t know how to find us , what our purpose is, or how well we’re doing
- need a better internet presence, maybe a newsletter or quarterly reports
- improve on reporting our progress to stakeholders and county commissioners
- as individuals, talk to people we interact with daily
- beef up the annual meeting
- Members understand and use chosen method of decision-making
- Decisions are made fairly.
- Decisions are evaluated with regard to mission/vision.
- Members know when a decision is made.
- Meetings are productive and process is fair and open.
- Members feel free to contribute and advocate for the vision.
- Members understand the role of and their relationship to staff.
- Staff performs delegated tasks and keeps members informed.
- We do not have an objective method to evaluate staff performance—Personnel Committee will be working on this year.
Fiscal and Project Management
- Members are not always aware of contractual commitments and don’t understand their responsibility.
- We’re not always carrying out projects on schedule and within budget—we need a better understanding of projects, timelines, budgets, restrictions.
- Highlight a project at each meeting (see ‘Participation” above).
- We don’t get involved in developing funding for projects and operations.
Watershed Planning and Projects
- UNWC identifies key issues and carries out projects and activities that move us toward desired outcomes.
- Council doesn’t evaluate its priorities annually or plan outcomes for the next 3 to 5 years.
- Could be addressed in strategic planning process.
- get each SC member interested in a specific project, “know your area”
- SC doesn’t monitor project effectiveness
- Do an annual evaluation?
- focus on outcomes of the project
- reports to the SC?
- Discussion Item: Treasurers Report (Lee Klingler)
UNWC Treasurers Report
Overview: UNWC is in a sustainable financial position.
Grant Activity: Good news- received another $15,000 for final payment for the 20009-11 Council Support grant. The Kenusky and Rapid Bio-assessment 1 Final Reports have been submitted for approval.
Issues: Beneke and Landowner Outreach grants currently expire on October 31st.
Bank Balance: Good news-we have over $67,000 in the bank. Although much of these monies are designated to ongoing projects, this is a significant development that began two months ago.
Current financial/record management practices: All May through October expenditures have been properly documented. Bank accounts are being checked and reconciled monthly. Profit and Loss statement handout shows details for October.
Operating Budget: The Oct. 2011-Sept.2012 fiscal year Operating budget has been developed and is ready for Steering Committee approval.
- Discussion Item: Directors Report (Maggie Peyton)
- Project Status report.
- Action Items:
- Operating Budget approval
It was moved (Vic Dykstra) and seconded (Cory Colburn) to approve the annual operating budget as presented. The motion passed unanimously with no abstentions.
- Hire of seasonal riparian workers. (2-3)
The SC wanted more information. It was left to Maggie’s decision whether to post the positions. Lee Klingler and Vic Dykstra will work on a “Contracted Services Policy”.
8:35 Public Comments:
Time was made available for any Public Comments.
Sarah and Wendy talked a little about what they do.
8:45 Meeting Adjourned: Fare Thee Well.