UPPER NEHALEM WATERSHED COUNCIL
Thursday, March 3rd 2011
Cory Colburn Council Vice – Chair Eric Larke Council Secretary
Marcia Denison Council Treasurer Steve McNulty Weyerhaeuser
Lee Klingler Citizen at Large Jason McCoy ODF
Rachel Wilcoxen Vernonia Schools Aaron Miller Vernonia Schools
Vic Dykstra Fish Hawk Lake Tom O’Brien NOWC – Consultant
Maggie Peyton Staff – Executive Director Linda Naeve Staff – Fiscal Manager
Stevan Sorbets Staff – Executive Assistant
Meeting brought to order at: 7pm
Welcome and Introductions:
- OWEB ranked the Pebble Creek restoration project application number 1 and the RBA III application number 2 in the North Coast region.
- The latest information on measure 76 (Tom O’Brien NOWC) Measure 76 will take effect on July 1st 2011. Senate Bill 342 is moving well (implementing bill) Any education grants must pertain to the watershed.
Public Comments: none
Minutes: January minutes reviewed. It was moved (Steve McNulty) and seconded (Eric Larke) to approve the minutes as presented. Motion passed unanimously.
- Linda Naeve (Staff Fiscal Manager)
- Monthly Expense Report
- Profit and Loss Report
- Grant Overview Report
Fiscal reports reviewed. It was moved (Eric Larke) and seconded (Steve McNulty) to approve the reports. Motion passed unanimously.
- Maggie Peyton (Staff – Executive Director/Project Manager)
- Project Report
- Basin: Nehalem Conservation Action Plan: In progress. The Nature Conservancy is leading (New Stakeholder Group). Stakeholder, Tech Team and Review Team established.
- Riparian: In progress
- Native plant nursery: VRSC – Title II
- Beneke: ½ of tree protection structures built, next years planting and LWD planning in progress.
- Vernonia Rural Education Corp: Alive and well and doing a great job.
- DEQ 2011: Riparian plantings in progress. Winter turbidity monitoring done.
- DEQ 2010: Final report in progress.
- Justice: A monitoring report is due in March.
- Salmon Passage – Update
- Oak Ranch: 2 design/estimates – done.
- Elk Creek/s: McKee and S/V Hwy final reports almost done.
- Bear Creek: Final report (incomplete) almost done.
- Salmon Habitat – Update
- Pebble Creek: as soon as approved by OWEB – grant agreement development will be in progress.
- Tweedle: Final report almost done.
- Kenusky: Final stages of planting in progress. Final report due in April.
- Wetland Restoration
- Carmichael: In the planning stages. This is a potential project encompassing 100+ acres. Riparian planting/fencing and LWD in Tweedle Creek – done.
- ODOT: seeking mitigation site for riparian planting in Jewell.
- Rapid Bio Assessment: Summer 2010 data entry and mapping in progress. WOU (Western Oregon University) working on mapping juvenile presence per sub-basin. They will report findings to UNWC during the summer of 2011. Map of juvenile presence displayed by bar graphs over-laid onto digital elevation model of Rock Creek terrain.
- RBA – summer 2011: assessment grant recommended for funding by OWEB- ranked II in north
- Limiting Factors Analysis: In progress. Lidar data being transferred to WOU, WOU working on mapping and will report findings to UNWC summer /fall 2011
- Fishhawk Lake: Assisting volunteers with developing temp monitoring plan.
- Landowner cooperation update: Assisted with 4 grants, MOU’s being developed
- Vernonia Voice: Follow up article on completed East Fork restoration projects in progress.
- Web site: Mostly done. Ready for Input. www.nehalem.org
- Project Report
- Bylaws discussion/review: Council set a Workshop to finish up Bylaws revision on March 12th.
- Annual Meeting: Moved (Steve McNulty) and Seconded (Eric Larke) To reschedule the annual meeting to May 21st 2011.
No new business
Moved (Eric Larke) and Seconded (Steve McNulty) to adjourn. Motion passed unanimously. Meeting Adjourned at 9pm